The OCU Faculty of Medicine celebrated its 70 year anniversary in the Hotel New Otani Osaka on 7 June 2015.
The Faculty of Medicine originated from the Osaka Medical School, founded in April 1944. In that same year, the Osaka City Minami Hospital in Abeno-ward became the academic hospital belonging to the Medical School.
Opening speech by Dean of the Faculty of Medicine Arakawa
Alumni Association Chairman Ikuno Presentation of Letter of Appreciation
After the ceremonial part of the celebration the audience was treated to a special lecture by Nobel Prize of Medicine laureate (and OCU alumnus) Professor Shinya Yamanaka (now Director of the Kyoto University Center for iPS Cell Research and Application). He enthusiastically told about the new possibilities in medicine created by iPS cells, while recalling the research efforts that brought him where he is today.
Professor Yamanaka delivering his lecture Prof. Yamanaka’s former supervisor at OCU Prof. Miura
(also Chairman of the evening)
The latter half of the party was also filled in friendship, with many congratulatory messages, tales about the Faculty of Medicine’s past and visions for the future.
Clockwise from top left: Professor Yamanaka, Prof. Yamanaka and President Nishizawa
Alumni Association Vice Chairman Hirohashi,
University Hospital Director Ishiko, President Nishizawa,
Dean Arakawa, Executive Committee Chairman Shiomi