15 April, 2021
President, Osaka City University
Together, we will revive the Futaba Festival and all extracurricular activities early!
With the sudden cancellation of the Futaba Festival, along with extracurricular activities, some of you may be thinking, “This is too much...why?”
The new school year started brightly. I was happy to see that the campus was back to the way it was before COVID, except for the masks. I was pleasantly surprised to hear everyone chatting and laughing in the open space in front of Building 1.
However, Osaka Prefecture has undoubtedly entered a fourth wave of infections. In fact, there has been a noticeable increase in the number of young people. The impact of the mutant strain of the disease is also significant. Governor Yoshimura's urgent request is also a sign of an impending crisis. To protect the health of all of you and those around you, the university has had to make the difficult decision to switch to remote classes and suspend extracurricular activities as requested. Understanding how you all feel about this brings me utter devastation.
All of us, faculty and staff, began the new school year with a firm pledge to take on the "Challenge of Corona.” We will not be discouraged by this. We have no intention of changing our basic policy of enriching face-to-face classes and extracurricular activities under the best possible infection control measures. We have until May 5 to get through the fourth wave. Believing this, together let's do our best to "Nin no ichiji” (Endure to the end).
On April 4, when Rikako Ikee returned and won the Japanese championships and was unofficially selected for the Tokyo Olympics, she exclaimed, “Hard work always pays off, right!?”
The Futaba Festival and extracurricular activities have not disappeared. Let's persevere and fight against COVID for an early recovery! Your efforts will surely be rewarded.
【Past messages on COVID-19 from the President】
- An explosion of infections is coming! Now is our moment! (30 March 2020）
- Your grandpa may have to wear an oxygen mask! (7 April 2020）
- The Virus Needs the Help of Humans to Spread! (13 April 2020）
- As a Whole, Let’s Fight against COVID-19 to Avoid a Collapse of the Medical System! (23 April 2020)
- Has COVID-19 Disappeared!? (15 June 2020)⁉
- This summer, if We are too Careless the Second Wave of COVID-19 may be Worse! (21 July 2020)
- Cultivate a Critical Intuition Towards Overflowing Information (13 August 2020)
- An Agonizing Choice “Haste Makes Waste” (24 August 2020)
- Corona Zero! A step towards declaring campus a safety zone. (24 October 2020)
- Two places to prevent the spread of infection - group dinners and at home (26 November 2020)
- The beginning is the crux (7 April, 2021)