5 July, 2021
President, Osaka City University
Don't let the rumors fool you
Vaccinations have begun at the university for students, faculty and staff who want them. About 650 people are beginning to safely receive the vaccination every day.
According to experts, anaphylaxis, a serious adverse reaction, occurs 2.5 times in a million. Even with the flu vaccine that we normally receive every year, it happens 1.3 times out of a million.
The advantages of vaccination far outweigh the disadvantages. The figure below shows the number of infected people and deaths in the UK. In June, the most recent month in which the vaccination rate exceeded 50%, despite the wave of infections, the number of deaths plummeted, in sharp contrast to the previous two waves. Vaccines do not completely control infection, but they have clearly proven to reduce the severity of illness.
Vaccines can not only protect you and your loved ones, but also those who cannot receive the vaccine. 70% of people who receive the vaccine become immune, which means that there is "herd immunity" and the infection will not spread even if there are others infected. As many of us as possible should get the vaccine. However, there are people who cannot or will not take the vaccine for various reasons. It is important to respect their feelings. Let's make sure that vaccinations do not lead to discrimination.
Recently, negative rumors about vaccines have been rampant. Some people seem to be misled by them and are hesitant to get vaccinated. Which do you believe? Rumors? Or the opinions of experts?
【Past messages on COVID-19 from the President】
- An explosion of infections is coming! Now is our moment! (30 March 2020）
- Your grandpa may have to wear an oxygen mask! (7 April 2020）
- The Virus Needs the Help of Humans to Spread! (13 April 2020）
- As a Whole, Let’s Fight against COVID-19 to Avoid a Collapse of the Medical System! (23 April 2020)
- Has COVID-19 Disappeared!? (15 June 2020)⁉
- This summer, if We are too Careless the Second Wave of COVID-19 may be Worse! (21 July 2020)
- Cultivate a Critical Intuition Towards Overflowing Information (13 August 2020)
- An Agonizing Choice “Haste Makes Waste” (24 August 2020)
- Corona Zero! A step towards declaring campus a safety zone. (24 October 2020)
- Two places to prevent the spread of infection - group dinners and at home (26 November 2020)
- The beginning is the crux (7 April, 2021)
- Together, we will revive the Futaba Festival and all extracurricular activities early! (15 April, 2021)
- Let us protect our precious lives! Medical care is in danger (14 May, 2021)